Teaching Reading, Writing, and Vocabulary
There's more to teaching reading than just slogging through the textbook. Students need to develop and apply strategies and skills for reading in their second language.
We've created this page to provide resources, lessons, and ideas on teaching reading, writing, and vocabulary. There are printable materials for classroom use, lessons, resources, and ideas. We also have a discussion forums and links to other web sites about teaching.
Lessons and Ideas
- Ideas for Previewing Vocabulary - Are you tired of just writing the word on the board and saying, "Does anybody know what this word means?" Check this out.
- A/B Stories - Take your ESL reading textbook and make it more communicative by using this information gap technique.
- Ordering Texts - Another technique to add some pizazz to your reading lessons.
- Writing Project: Student Surveys - An outline of a writing project for high-intermediate and advanced students.
- Newsweek Lesson (Classroom Handout) - A reading and discussion lesson which can be used with any Newsweek Magazine. (You'll need multiple copies of the magazine.)