We've created this page to provide resources, lessons, and ideas on teaching grammar. You'll find loads of printable materials for classroom use. We also have a discussion forum where you can share your lesson ideas.
- Their, There and They're - Explains the difference between the "3 theres".
- Unreal Conditionals Handout - A classroom handout with examples, explains second and third conditional sentences.
- Find Your Partner: Second Conditional - A matching activity with directions.
- Question Cards: Unreal Conditionals - A set of conditional questions. (If you wanted suggestions on how to use card sets, you would look at Ideas for Using Conversation Card Sets.)
- Scrambled Sentences: Unreal Conditionals - See Ideas for Using Scrambled Sentences for activity suggestions.
- Find Your Partner: Modals - A matching activity for modals of inference, includes directions.
- Question Cards: Modals - A set of questions using present and past time modals. (For suggestions on how to use card sets, you might get some ideas from Ideas for Using Conversation Card Sets.
- Recognizing Noun Clauses in Songs - A printable worksheet for classroom use, advanced students find the noun clauses in the lyrics to some popular alternative songs. I recommend giving one copy to each pair of students and asking them to work together.
- Answer Key for Recognizing Noun Clauses in Songs - My first time through the lyrics, I think I found 15 noun clauses. Needless to say, I had missed some. Like five, I think, assuming I'm still not missing any. Save yourself the surprise of discovering the noun clauses during class; print the answer key.
- Scrambled Sentences: Noun Clauses - See Ideas for Using Scrambled Sentences for activity suggestions.
- Error Correction: Noun Clauses - Ten sentences for error correction. (Only sentence number five is correct.)
Nouns: Count and Non-count
- Food Quantifiers - This is an interactive crossword puzzle you can print and use in class. Low level.
- Noncount Nouns and Quantifiers - A matching activity to review advanced-level noncount nouns and quantifiers (Classroom Handout).
- Tic Tac Toe: Irregular Plurals - Advanced-level tic tac toe game boards. Students can place an "X" or "O" in the square only when they give the correct plural form of the word.
- A Card Game to Review Count/Noncount Nouns and Irregular Plurals - Advanced-level group activity with directions.
- A Passive Voice Race Game - A competitive team race game for high intermediate and advanced learners, includes directions.
Simple Past and Past Progressive
- Scrambled Sentences: Simple Past and Past Progressive - See Ideas for Using Scrambled Sentences for activity suggestions.
Simple Present and Present Progressive
- Simple Present and Present Progressive Classroom Activities and Ideas - a long list of suggestions and techniques for teaching simple present and present progressive.
- Sentence Match: Tense Review - You can use this one to pair students or as a small group activity.