Dead Man Walking - Before You Watch: Vocabulary
Criminal Law and the Death Penalty
Use the following words to fill in the sentences. You will have to change the verbs so they agree in tense and number.
|1. Repeat offender||14. To try|
|2. Felony||15. To convict/a conviction|
|3. Misdemeanor||16. To appeal/an appeal|
|4. Hung jury||17. Armed|
|5. To sentence/a sentence||18. Manslaughter|
|6. To commit||19. Premeditated murder|
|7. Death Row||20. To acquit/an acquittal|
|8. To reinstate||21. To witness/a witness|
|9. Prosecution/prosecutor||22. Lethal injection|
|10. To be charged with||23. Criminal liability phase|
|11. Verdict||24. A plea|
|12. Defendant/defense||25. Inmate|
|13. Parole||26. Penalty phase|
- If a jury ____________ someone, it means they don't find that person guilty of a crime.
- O.J. Simpson ______ __________ _______ killing his ex-wife.
- If you are _________ when you _________ a crime, it means you are carrying a weapon.
- When a person is formally charged with a crime and goes before a judge, he or she must enter ___ ________ of guilty or not guilty.
- If a jury doesn't agree on a _________, it is referred to as a _______ ________, and the case will be _________ again.
- If a jury _____________ you to the Death Penalty, you automatically have the possibility ___ __________ the decision.
- If I commit a series of crimes, I'm known as a ___________ ___________.
- If I _____________ a crime, it means I saw it happen.
- When an __________ is released from prison, he or she is placed on ___________ for a specific length of time to make sure their behavior is good.
- During the ____________ ______________ __________, they decide if you're guilty or not guilty, and in the ____________ ___________, they decide on your ____________.
- ____________ ___________ is the most serious type of murder, while _______________ is a less serious offense.
- In a criminal trial, there are two sides: the _____________ and the ______________.
- The lawyer who works for the state is called the ____________ . He or she is trying to ___________ the ___________.
- A _____________ is a serious crime, such as murder or rape, while a less serious crime--such as shoplifting--is considered a _______________.
- The place in prison where an inmate waits to die is called __________ _________.
- There are several methods of execution. One is the electric chair; another is __________ ______________.
- In 1977, the Death Penalty was ______________ in California.