Karin's ESL PartyLand
Copyright 1999 by Karin M. Cintron/Reproducible for Classroom Use
Internet Worksheet: Earth Alert
- Go to the above address. Look at the map for this week and answer the following questions:
- What natural disasters have recently hit Asia? Click on the icon (picture) to read more about one of these disasters.
- Where did the most recent earthquake occur? (Hint: click on the icon (picture) for earthquake under the map.)
- What were the most extreme temperatures for the past week? Where was the temperature the highest? The lowest?
- Return to the homepage. Scroll down the page until you see the reports from previous weeks' editions of Earth Alert. Then, answer the following questions:
- Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list. Click on March 2-6 1998. This was the first week Earth Alert went on-line. How many categories of natural disasters are present for this week? Take a few minutes to explore some of the readings. Do you think the weather has gotten worse since then?
- In mid-January of 1999, what country suffered from landslides?
- Find three extreme weather events that occurred during the week of your last birthday.
- Return to the homepage. Scroll down the page and click on Amazing Earth Games. Choose one of the natural disasters and take a few minutes to find out more about it.
- If you have extra time, take a few minutes to explore the links page at Earth Alert.
Send your teacher an e-mail. In your e-mail, answer the following questions:
- What was the highest temperature this past week? Where did it occur?
- In your opinion, which natural disaster from this past week was the worst?
- What activity did you try at Amazing Earth Games?
- What was one interesting thing you learned from today's lesson?