Ring of Fire: An Indonesian Odyssey - Part Three: East of Krakatoa
With your group, discuss the following:
- Where is Indonesia? Why is this area of the world called the Ring of Fire? What do you know about Java? How about Bali?
- What do you know about volcanoes? Where have there been some famous volcanic eruptions? What do you think it would be like to live in an area of the world where there are a lot of active volcanoes? How would this environment influence your everyday life? How would it influence your view of the world?
- What is trance? How do different religions use trance as a part of their experience? Have you ever seen anyone go into a trance? What do you think it looks like?
- What do you know about acupuncture? Have you ever had acupuncture or do you know someone who has? What was it like?
- In this video, we hear that Bali is a land where "the blend of Hindu Buddhism, which has dominated Java for centuries, still flourishes." What are some of the main beliefs of Buddhism? Hinduism? How might they work together?
- Different religions have different beliefs about what happens to people when they die. What are some of these beliefs?
- "Are you one of those people who believe there's nothing left to discover anymore?"