Today, we are going to visit a very extensive web site previously known as CNN Interactive. At this web site, you can read different news stories. Every story has vocabulary exercises and comprehension questions. You can even listen to some of the stories and watch them in Real Video!
Story of the Week
- Go to the above address. Click on Current Story.
- What is the name of this story? Click on Abridged Story. Based on the title, what do you think this story is about?
- Now, take three minutes to skim the story. Write one sentence telling the main idea.
- Next, click on Vocabulary. For some words, use the text to help you answer the vocabulary questions. If the word is not in the abridged story, ask your teacher for help.
- Once you have finished answering the vocabulary questions, click on Word Selection at the top. Answer these questions. You can look at the story if you need help.
- Next go to the Multiple Choice section at the top. Continue to complete the exercises for this story.
- After that, go to the the page titled Sequencing and complete these exercises. Try the exercises on the Conclusions page as well.
- Now click on the page that says Your Turn, read the question and discuss it with your partner. Then post an answer giving your opinion.
- Finally, click on Complete Story at the top left of the page. (This is the original story from CNN.) Here, you can listen to the story or watch a video. Do this now. How much can you understand?
- At the very top of the page on the left go to Story Archives. Choose the topic you find most interesting. Then, complete steps 2-9 above.