Click for Newsletter
Oral Presentations: Do\\\'s & Don\\\'ts
- Be organized! The more organized and focused your presentation is, the more relaxed you'll feel.
- Breathe! (It helps you relax.)
- Don't try to cover too much material. Remember you only have 7-10 minutes.
- Do speak clearly, slowly and at an appropriate level for your audience.
- Use vocabulary that is appropriate for your audience. If you use new vocabulary, make sure you explain it and write it on the board.
- Do make eye contact with all members of your audience.
- Do move around.
- Do use hand gestures.
- Do allow the audience to ask questions at the end of your presentation.
- Don't read your presentation. You can use short notes, but reading a presentation is unnatural; also, it makes it very difficult for your audience to follow.
- Do practice your presentation with a partner or in front of the mirror.
- Do remember to thank your audience and introduce the next speaker.