Discuss the following questions with your group:
- The movie chose to focus on the beginning stages of Watergate rather than the consequences of the scandal. The focus was not on President Nixon, and deep Throat never names him directly, except to say "everyone is involved." Why do you think this is so?
- In your opinion, what was deep throat's motivation for giving such crucial information to Woodward and Bernstein?
- Do you think that without Woodward and Bernstein (and the Washington Post), the story of Watergate would have been uncovered? Why or why not?
- Do you think the movie was an accurate portrayal of journalism and an accurate retelling of what happened with Woodward and Bernstein? Or was this movie "Hollywood hype"? Do you think their lives were really "in danger," as deep Throat said, and if so, by whom? Who was the "they" everyone kept referring to and was afraid of?
- How can this movie be seen as showing both the best and the worst of American society?
- What did you like about this movie? Why?
- What did you dislike about this movie? Why?