Dead Man Walking
Directed by Tim Robbins (1995)
Starring Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn
Note: This film is based on the book Dead Man Walking by Sister Helen Prejean, chronicling her life as a spiritual advisor to death row inmates.
Part One: Vocabulary from the Film
- to look for a loophole
- to get smudged
- to be up to something
- to be out of (one's) league/to be in over (one's) head
- a sister/a nun/the habit
- to own up to something
- to be suckered
- to let something slide
- to go nuts
- to turn the other cheek
- to be in dire need of something
- pardoning board
- to grant clemency
Part Two: Listening
As you watch the film, identify who says each of the following quotes and the scene in which each occurs.
- "There ain't nobody with money on Death Row."
- "I ain't gonna kiss ass."
- "I'm looking for a loophole."
- "Are you up to this?"
- "You're not a saint, Helen."
- "If you were our friend, you'd want to see justice served for the death of our daughter."
- "It's the countdown that gets you."
- "It's easy to kill a monster, but it's difficult to kill a human being."
- "You can't have it both ways."
- "You can't befriend him and be our friend too."
- "Every person is worth more than their worst act."
- "He went nuts on me."
- "They're all con men."
- "You're being suckered."
- "I was drawn to it."
- "How is it possible one gets life and the other death?"
- "There's an election tomorrow, and they gotta kill somebody."
- "I was out of my head."
- "Never mind."
- "The best thing would be for them to admit their own culpability."